Advanced Graphics with R
This is a one-day intensive course on advanced graphics with R. The standard plotting commands in R are known as the base graphics, but are starting to show their age. In this course, we cover more advanced graphics packages - in particular, ggplot2. The ggplot2 package can create advanced and informative graphics. This training course stresses understanding - not just one off R scripts. By the end of the session, participants will be familiar with themes, scales and facets, as well as the wider ggplot2 world of packages.
No Events Currently Scheduled
Sorry, there are no upcoming events for this course, but please get in touch if you would like to be kept informed when events are scheduled in the future.
- Introduction to the different graphics packages
- Introduction to the fantastic ggplot2 package
- Groups, geoms, stats and layers within ggplot2
- Scales, axes and legends
- Facets, colour themes and general themes
By the end of the day participants will…
- have a thorough understanding of how different graphics packages in R work, in particular ggplot2
- be able to efficiently plot their own data in eye catching ways within seconds, including:
- raster plots
- scatter plots
- density plots
- many more
- be able to customise their graphs with colour schemes, themes, fonts and grid layouts.
This course will be structured as follows:
- 9:00 — 9:15: Registration and coffee
- 9:15 — 9:40: Lecture
- 9:40 — 10:30: Practical 1
- 10:30 — 11:00: Coffee break
- 11:00 — 12:15: Lecture
- 12:15 — 1:30: Lunch
- 2:45 — 3:15: Coffee break
- 1:30 — 4:30: Practical 2 & Lecture
A basic knowledge of R is assumed for this course. In particular, attendees should be familiar with the topics covered in the introduction to R course. This course will be a mixture of lectures and computer practicals. The goal is to enable participants to apply the techniques covered to their own data. This course is suitable for all fields of work. Previous attendees include biologists, statisticians, accountants, engineers & students, i.e., anyone who uses a spreadsheet!
- Very clear lectures and handouts.
- Good overview of the main topics. Also gave advice on how to find out about other features that may be needed above the standards.
- The ability to ask more general questions about our data in the practical.