Introduction to Python
Python is a powerful, general-purpose programming language that plays well with others, runs everywhere, is friendly and easy to learn. Whilst it is a general-purpose language in nature, it has a large number of packages which suitable for a variety of tasks common to data analysts. Python’s syntax is simple yet elegant making it easy to read and quick to develop in. This two-day intensive course will introduce you to the language and equip you with the tools to manipulate, visualise and summarise your data.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK | June 10, 2019
- Introduction to Python: A brief introduction to the Python language and development tools for writing Python
- Data Types: An introduction to common Python data types, both from the language builtins such as lists and dictionaries and additional packages geared toward data analysis such as Pandas Series and DataFrame objects.
- Visualisation: Create standard statistical graphics such as scatter plots and histograms from your data.
- Summary Statistics: Apply common statistical summaries to your data sets using the power and speed of the numpy package.
- Data Manipulation: Become comfortable with manipulating your data, filtering, merging and joining, grouped aggregation.
- Data I/O: Load and save data from a variety of different data sources such as CSV files, Excel files and binary data storage formats.
- Control Flow: Get a handle on the basics of program control flow for your scripts. We will examine iterative looping structures (for loops) and conditional expressions (if statements).
- Functions: Define and use your own functions.
By the end of the day, participants will understand…
- crucial data structures and programming techniques with a focus on data analysis tasks
- which python packages are useful for loading, manipulating and summarising data
- how to create visualisations in Python
- which tools are necessary to automate tasks.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.