Introduction to Python
Python is a powerful, general-purpose programming language that plays well with others, runs everywhere, is friendly and easy to learn. Whilst it is a general-purpose language in nature, it has a large number of packages which suitable for a variety of tasks common to data analysts. Python's syntax is simple yet elegant making it easy to read and quick to develop in. This two-day intensive course will introduce you to the language and equip you with the tools to manipulate, visualise and summarise your data.
No Events Currently Scheduled
Sorry, there are no upcoming events for this course, but please get in touch if you would like to be kept informed when events are scheduled in the future.
- Introduction to Python: A brief introduction to the Python language and development tools for writing Python
- Data Types: An introduction to common Python data types, both from the language builtins such as lists and dictionaries and additional packages geared toward data analysis such as Pandas Series and DataFrame objects.
- Visualisation: Create standard statistical graphics such as scatter plots and histograms from your data.
- Summary Statistics: Apply common statistical summaries to your data sets using the power and speed of the numpy package.
- Data Manipulation: Become comfortable with manipulating your data, filtering, merging and joining, grouped aggregation.
- Data I/O: Load and save data from a variety of different data sources such as CSV files, Excel files and binary data storage formats.
- Control Flow: Get a handle on the basics of program control flow for your scripts. We will examine iterative looping structures (for loops) and conditional expressions (if statements).
- Functions: Define and use your own functions.
By the end of the day, participants will understand…
- crucial data structures and programming techniques with a focus on data analysis tasks
- which python packages are useful for loading, manipulating and summarising data
- how to create visualisations in Python
- which tools are necessary to automate tasks.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.