Introduction to R
This is a one-day intensive course on R and assumes no prior knowledge. By the end of the course, participants will be able to import, summarise and plot their data. At each step, we avoid using "magic code", and stress the importance of understanding what R is doing.
Online | January 5, 2021
- Introduction to R: A brief overview of the background and features of the R statistical programming system.
- Data entry: A description of how to import and export data to R from CSV, files, Excel spreadsheets, SAS and SPSS
- Data types: A summary of R’s data types.
- R environment: A description of the R environment including the R working directory, creating/using scripts, saving data and results.
- R graphics: Creating, editing and storing graphics in R – a brief introduction to the ggplot2 package
- Summary statistics: Measures of location and spread.
- Manipulating data in R: Describing how data can be manipulated in R using logical operators.
- Vector operations: Details of R’s vectors operations.
By the end of the day participants will be able to…
- direct themselves around the R interface in an efficient way.
- import and export their own data from spreadsheets and a number of other data storages to R.
- summarise the data with R’s built in summary statistic functions.
- plot data in interesting ways using ggplot2
- manipulate data in ways such that they can efficiently analyse data.
No prior programming knowledge of any kind is assumed. This course is suitable for all fields of work. Previous attendees include biologists, statisticians, accountants, engineers & students, i.e., anyone who uses a spreadsheet! Participants should bring a laptop.
- Clear explanations; combination of theory and practice is excellent.
- Good pace, good split of practical and lecture.
- Excellent introduction to R!
- Nice friendly environment.
- Almost one to one! Great teaching, good lectures.